- Apache web-server with mod_rewrite and .htaccess file support enabled
- PHP 5 with PDO and SQLite driver enabled
- Load up the script files to your server
- Depending on your server configuration you may need to change the write permissions of the following files/directories:
- cms/data - directory of the SQLite database files (CHMOD 777)
- content.sqlite, entries.sqlite and userdata.sqlite - SQLite database files (CHMOD 666)
- cms/cache - cache directory, needs to be writable if you want to use the caching feature (CHMOD 777)
- media and files - need to be writable if you want to use the file uploader (CHMOD 777)
- Ready! You should now be able to access the index page by browsing to the address you uploaded RiteCMS (e.g. http://your-domain.tld/path/to/RiteCMS/). To administrate the page, go to http://your-domain.tld/path/to/RiteCMS/cms/. The default admin userdata is: username: admin, password: admin.
- Creating or editing pages
- [[cms/|Log in]], click on "Create new page" or "Edit", fill out and submit the form. Additional options like the used template are set under "Properties". The option "auto formatting" adds
<p>...</p>around paragraphs and replaces line breaks by
<br />. Disable this option if you input HTML code.
- Adding a page to the menu
- Go to "Administration" and select "Menus". Choose the menu you want to edit. In the edit form you can then add the page. The categories are for highlighting active menu items (like now "Documentation"). To use this you also have to specify the category in the page properties.
- News and overview pages
- Create a new page and select "News page" or "Overview Page" as page type in the properties. To insert a page into the news or overview page, edit or create a new page, switch to "Include" and select the page on which it should be included ("Include in:"). Then specify the teaser headline and the teaser - this will be shown on the news or overview page. With "Order nr." you can order the teasers in overview pages. The order in news pages is chronological ([[demos/news|demo]]).
- Simple news pages
- On simple news pages you can just add news without creating new pages for each item ([[demos/simple-news|demo]]).
- RSS Feeds and XML Sitemaps
- Like into overview pages you can include pages into RSS Feeds and XML Sitemaps. Create a new page with page type RSS Feed or XML Sitemap, then include the pages you like into it (Include » Include in: RSS Feed / XML Sitemap). The title of the RSS Feed will be the page title, the description the description in "Properties" ([[rss|demo]]).
- Photo pages
- First you have to create a photo gallery (Administration » Photo galleries » Create new gallery. Here you can add photos, write titles and descriptions. After you created a photo gallery you have to insert it into a page: Edit or crate a new page, select "Photo page" as page type and specify the gallery name in the field next to it.
Photo galleries can also contain *.swf films. To display *.flv films you need Flowplayer as media player. Download it from flowplayer.org and save the files flowplayer.swf and flowplayer.controls.swf in the directory cms/modules/flowplayer/. Note that the thumbnails must always be images (JPG, PNG or GIF) ([[demos/photo-gallery|demo]]).
- Layout customization
- RiteCMS uses PHP templates to display the pages (preferable with alternative syntax). The templates are stored in the subdirectory templates. You can specify the template in the page properties when editing or creating a page. The default template is default.tpl.
- Global content blocks
- You can define global content blocks (Administration → Global content blocks) and include them on several pages or in a template. The following template code includes the global content block #1 specified in the page properties:
<?php if($gcb_1 && isset($gcb[$gcb_1])) echo $gcb[$gcb_1]; ?>
This displays the global content block with ID 1 on all pages using the template:
<?php echo $gcb; ?>
- Data synchronization
- Since SQLite is file based data synchronization is easy: if you edit pages on your local server you can synchronize the data by uploading the file /cms/data/content.sqlite. But don't upload /cms/data/entries.sqlite as this will delete all comments! You can download both files for backup purpose.
- Spam protection
- You can specify not accepted words, IPs and user agents and you can use Akismet for spam protection (Administration → Spam protection).